Thursday, March 26, 2009

More thoughts on our health care mis-treatment

The more I discuss the [lack of] treatment my family member received recently, the more I am being told to follow through with my complaints. It seems we were not the only people to experience the same non-caring callous treatment from this particular group. Even our family doctor informed us he had heard similar complaints. It is time we as consumers no longer accept the status quo as being all there is and adopt a "what can we do about it?" attitude. I myself might have fallen into that group before but no more. This could have had tragic consequences. Years ago, I might have thought twice about complaining and demanding attention. But being older has it's advantages. I remember in the midst of my tirade thinking I no longer cared what others thought of me. Gone was the polite little girl who wouldn't have said "Boo".
If we all voice our complaints to the proper people and in a non-emotional way, our voices will be heard. Doctors and hospital personnel are not gods. They do not know it all. In fact, sometimes they don't know at all. I've been there. I've seen it with my own eyes. First as a nurse and now as a family member. Take it from me, there is no reason not to question when you don't understand or when you think you are being given the wrong information.
In our case, we were flat out lied to. More than once. Don't be afraid to question and be persistent when you feel you are not getting the care you deserve. You could be avoiding something far worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment