Monday, August 24, 2009

Un-birthday

Feeling a little overwhelmed today.
No, that's the wrong word. Introspective is more like it.
My un-birthday is coming up - September 1 is the day that marks the halfway mark between my last birthday and my next. After that I will be closer to being one year older. It always gives me pause, more so than even my real birthday.
In the past few months, a dear friend has died, another diagnosed with a serious illness, a loved one was hospitalized with a serious condition necessitating surgery - all of it pointing out how precious life is and how we have to seize the day; no, seize the moment.
It is pointless to assume we have tomorrow, next week, next year.
Not to be maudlin but why wait?
Time will not necessarily make it easier or more feasible.
If it's good enough for later, it's good enough for now.
Read that book, see that movie, write that best seller.
Hug that loved one, make that phone call, watch that sunrise.
Adopt that dog, make that move, go through the clutter.
A very merry un-birthday!

No comments:

Post a Comment