Monday, December 21, 2009

Health care bill passes the Senate

For what it's worth, the Senate version of the health care reform bill passed last night with not one Republican vote [unless you count Lieberman]. Stripped of all the important portions that meant anything to me, I'm not sure I would call it a victory for anyone but the insurance companies. Without a public option or the expansion of Medicare to those 55 years old and older, I can't be happy with it in its present form and I am disappointed in President Obama's leadership to say the least.
It has to be sent back to the House for reconciliation with their version and already there are threats that if it's changed in any way, the two holdouts who decimated the Senate version will not vote for the final version.
While some are hailing this bill as historic, I merely call it eye-opening to see how low this government has sunk. It has become obvious how selfish some Senators have become, how some individuals will put party above their job and responsibility to their constituents who voted them in, how lobbyists with money can buy what they want and how powerless this democracy really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment